Some of the common benefits of taking time out of your busy life, to formally engage in a relaxation technique, include:
- Slowing your heart rate
- Lowering your blood pressure
- Slowing your breathing rate
- Improving your digestion
- Maintaining normal blood sugar levels
- Reducing the activity of stress hormones
- Increasing blood flow to major muscle groups
- Reducing muscle tension and chronic pain
- Improving concentration and mood
- Improving sleep quality
- Lowering fatigue
- Reducing anger and frustration
- Boosting confidence levels
- Improving problem-solving ability
While the following technique takes around 25 minutes, engaging in much shorter strategies, even just a couple of minutes, can make a difference to your functioning.
I chose the following script by Harold H. Benjamin because it incorporates around five different relaxation techniques including, progressive muscle relaxation, guided imagery, mindfulness, controlled breathing and even some hypnosis (not the acting like a chicken kind!).
Once you've given it a go, you might have more of an idea about which parts of it you really enjoyed, or the parts that worked for you. We'd love your feedback.
You can also access an audio file of this script by clicking on this link - Guided Imagery with Coloured Breathing: Relaxation Exercise.